In this training, participants will learn a simple and effective tool for case-management and referral making. We will discuss each part of the STAR Model and why each step is a critical when making referrals, particularly for stigmatized healthcare service, like abortion. Participants will be given the opportunity to apply what they’ve learned and receive real-time feedback from the facilitator and their peers.
Anyone who works directly with clients and patients and makes referrals including, but not limited to:
- Social workers
- Case workers
- Peer support specialists
- Hotline volunteers
- Behavioral health professionals
- People who work in the following systems of care: domestic violence and sexual assault support services, substance use treatment, HIV/AIDS service organizations, and primary care
By the end of this training, participants will:
- be able to identify provider behaviors that don’t center client autonomy;
- have built empathy for clients/patients;
- understand the link between the quality of provider interactions and patient retention; and
- have learned each step of the STAR Model, practice using it, and get real-time feedback from the facilitator and their peers.